[AMRadio] Voltage check please

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 16:57:25 EST 2014

I need another lucky Heath Apache owner to check a voltage for me when the opportunity arises.  The manual calls for 360V on the screens of the EL34's and throughout the TX for low B+.  In the process of repairing the modulator, I found mine to be about 250V.  If I unload the power supply, I get 350V, when I hook the load to it and it only draws about 15MA in STBY, it drops to 250V.  The TX operates fine, tunes up with no issues, full power out, no ripple on the carrier.  Is this  60 year old typo and it should show 250V?  The LV xfmr is 300-0-300, the rect is full wave and the filter is cap input with a choke, so theoretically, this PS under load should not give 360V out.

After finding this TX in  a drainage ditch in SC and repairing it's issues, it has given me good service for over 21 years.  Perhaps it is starting to get cantakerous in it's old age.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC