[AMRadio] Apache voltage check

CL in NC mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 17:10:42 EST 2014

Well, the 20ufd section of the cap filter went open, seen them short, blow up, get hot and boil, but just plain ol' dead open are few and far between for me.  Got a bit fooled since I read the cap kick with both caps hooked to the choke and thought both sections were good, not resistive or shorted. The back half of the filter, the 40ufd section was fine, so my PS went from cap input to choke input and put out a nice clean 250VDC.  Apparently it's failure coincided with my modulator going south, and nice to know that the Apache runs just fine on 250v low B+ after resetting the mod bias, but replacing the cap and going back to the normal 360v to be Heath correct.  Thanks for the input fellers.

Charlie, W4MEC in NC