[AMRadio] Crystal Filter adjustment procedures

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Sat Mar 29 18:25:27 EDT 2014

Folks,

I'm involved in a discussion with the Editor and the Senior Assistant Technical Editor of QST and the author about the article published in the April issue of QST, "Crystal Phasing."  I've tried the procedure outlined in the article under "Adjusting the Crystal Resonator Filter," and I've not been able to make it work.  I've written up an alternate procedure that I believe will work on any receiver of any make  that uses a vintage crystal filter.

I need some volunteers to try both procedures.  It is entirely possible that I'm mistaken about the QST procedure, and I'd like to know that if I am.  I'd also like to know if my procedure works, and I'd appreciate suggestions about how to make it better.  It may eventually show up as a Technical Note in QST if the folks there can be convinced that there is a problem with the one that they published.

If you have a receiver with a vintage crystal filter, any make, and you would be willing to spend a little time trying out these two procedures, please let me know.  I will respond with an email containing a copy of the QST article and a copy of my proposed procedure.  I will report your results, whatever they may be, to the folks at QST.

Thanks very much,

Jim Hanlon, W8KGI