[AMRadio] FT243 crystal sockets, half-watt resistors

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri May 2 12:36:27 EDT 2014

>>>I have a need for several crystal sockets for FT 243 Crystals. If anyone
has one or more they will sell, please consider selling them to me. Thanks
and 73, John, K5PGW>>>

I assume you are aware that octal tube pin spacing is correct, and one
socket can accommodate up to two crystals.

>>>I need 4 resistors for my rebuild of a NC 183D so I went to my favorite
supplier to get them.  It is a small order so the postage would be more than
the parts but, what the heck, I need them.

One value, a 680 ohm, half watt is available only on cut tape with a minimum
number of 1200.  I don?t need that many so I thought I would ask here to see
if anyone has them and a couple of 270 K half watt resistors.

Jim W5JO>>>

I have checked the usual parts sources on line and never ran into anything
like this before, but it's been a while. As I recall some of them had a
minimum order but  nothing like  that.  The problem I have had is not being
able to find carbon composition resistors any larger than 1-watt, and
increasingly limited selection of resistance values in all types.  Ordinary
vitreous enamel wire wound resistors on hollow ceramic tubes with solder
lugs at each end seem to have about dried up.

I have never had any problem buying small quantities of resistors at the
local electronics store in  town, but about all they have is film types - no
carbon comps. Films are more precise in value and perfectly usable in MOST
of my projects, but I have found they won't tolerate momentary overloads the
way carbon comps can, and I  don't  like to use them to dissipate any
significant amount of RF.

So does that mean plain old resistors are the latest thing on its way to
becoming unobtanium?

All the more reason to save and hoard every single screw, nut, bolt, washer,
resistor, capacitor, RF choke, etc. that one can salvage out of a piece of
equipment before junking it. Anything that might be useful to repair,
restore or build something that is not IC/printed circuit/surface-mount.
This includes discrete solid state components like transistors with 3 wires
coming out he bottom, even DIP style IC chips.

This is getting to resemble the scarcity of just about every product
imaginable during WWII, when EVERYTHING had to be made  to last. Scary.

Don k4kyv

---