[AMRadio] FT243 crystal sockets, half-watt resistors

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat May 3 12:05:14 EDT 2014

There are still a few sites out there as mentioned and it's good to
patronize them when possible. From what I've seen, something Rob mentioned
is the best source: hamfests. True, maybe not for the single component or
two needed for a project today or some time between events, which is why
it's good to stock up ahead of time. Especially if you don't have a lot of
'fest around you.

Either last year or the year before I needed a specific resistor to repair
the 32V-2. The Raleigh hamfest was coming up, so I looked around and found
not just the needed resistor, but several in a good sized box FULL of NOS
Allen Bradley and other carbon comp resistors. Perhaps 10 lbs or more, 1/4
watt to several watts in a multitude of values. Can't recall what I paid,
maybe $5-$10 for the box. Think I posted a photo on AMfone at the time. The
only drawback? Still haven't sorted them, they're currently buried in the
parts garage. No time to sort and catalog through several thousand
resistors.

These days if I have time at a 'fest between selling off excess crap, I
search for the parts needed going forward to keep what I have working.
Resistors, caps, 3AG fuses, bulbs, all the things becoming less available
due to lack of commercial demand. Virtually no one is building equipment
with these large components anymore.

Big items like radios are easy to find and will only become moreso at
hamfests and online. Components will likely become the opposite. And the
days of running to RatShack or Brand X Electronics for the random part you
need are all but gone. Add to that the sad reality of so much 'stuff'
becoming available as more old timers pass on (there were three estates at
the recent RARSfest) and it becomes clear.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4