[AMRadio] Reasonably priced relays

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Sat May 3 19:33:44 EDT 2014

This is for Jim, W5JO, and for anyone else looking for reasonably priced electromechanical relays.

Once again, Mouser carries some generic relays that can be used to piece together what you need.  Look for example at the NEC type EC2 series "Miniature Signal Relays."  Their contacts are rated to switch and carry 2 Amps.  Breakdown voltage between open contacts is 1 Kv AC.  Surge voltage coil-to-contacts is 2500 volts.  They come in non-latching and single-coil latching varieties.  Each relay is DPDT.  They are in small, sealed plastic packages 15 x 7.5 x 9.4 mm, and you can easily mount several side-by-side if you need more than two poles.  Coil voltages are 3, 4.5, 5, and 12.  Single unit cost for a 12 volt, non-latching type is $2.44, and it is in stock.

Another good option are the Omron G5V-1 SPDT and G5V-2 DPDT relays.  The G5V-1 series has 1 amp contacts (1 amp at 24 VDC, 0.5 A at 125 VAC) and comes with coils rated at 3, 5, 6, 9, 12, and 24 volts.  It's dimensions are 12.5 x 7.5 x 10 mm.  It runs $1.64 per single, 12 volt coil relay.  The G5V-2 series has 2 amp contacts (2 amps at 30 volts DC, 0.5 amp at 125 Volts AC),  and coils rated as above plus 48 volts.  The 12 volt relays cost $2.02 each.  There are higher operate sensitivity versions that are a little more expensive.  All of these are in stock.

Back 25 years ago when I worked for Bell Labs qualifying relays for use in Western Electric products, we used relays from both Omron and NEC similar to those above.  They were very good products.  I still have some NEC relays left over from our qualification tests in my stash, and I've used them to replace multi contact relays in my Eldico SSB-100 and Hallicrafters HT-32 with good success.

Jim Hanlon, w8KGI