[AMRadio] Museum collection of historic radio equipment about to be

Rick Poole WA1RKT wa1rkt at comcast.net
Thu May 8 08:58:31 EDT 2014

From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv at charter.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:18:41 PM

>> Londonderry is not too far away; maybe it would
>> be worth a trip up there to look it over.

It's just a touch under 300 miles one way, which could be done if I hadn't been unemployed for more than two years.

Just speculating here... how would we get all that stuff moved?  Of course it would be ideal if 6 tractors could magically appear up there and haul the trailers to their destination, empty them, and return them, but (taking Londonderry as an example, not that there is anything here that could possibly be considered a destination for equipment like that) 300 miles one way times 6 round trips = 3600 miles, at around 5 mpg average for a loaded tractor-trailer = 720 gallons of diesel, times US$4/gal average = US$2880 just for fuel.  600 miles is double that, and 1200 miles is double that again.  Of course if you can consolidate the equipment into fewer trailers that will help, but in any case it doesn't take long before $7500 for some used trailers (which presumably can be sold later, once a permanent home for the equipment is found) begins to look more reasonable.

Rick WA1RKT
Londonderry, NH