[AMRadio] 10 meters

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri May 30 10:35:48 EDT 2014

The majority of the ones I hear are in the US.  A lot of them are located to
the East of me but I also hear a lot of Spanish speaking stations.   The
stations I am hearing are all below 28.200 and I can isolate them with my
beam sufficiently to know what direction.  I might mention I recognize the
"roger beep" in most of them.

In years past a lot of CB radios went across the border South with some
companies paying Soborno to the customs agents.  So we hear taxi cabs,
fishing boats and more.  But we, at one time, heard a lot of fishing boats
in the Gulf speaking English.  I don't hear much of that anymore because the
boats seem to have different radios than before.  Getting Mexico or any
government South of the boarder to crack down on these guys is pretty
useless, look at the cartels operating there, who by the way, used CB radios
in the past to coordinate their activities.  In fact, I knew of a commercial
radio shop who got rich sending radios into Mexico back in the 70 and 80s.
They also sold black market commercial VHF radios to those folks.  At one
time the Amateur Radio shop in San Antonio made significant sales to "hams"
in Mexico.

It is a mess, but my gripe is since Riley Hollingsworth retired, enforcement
seems to have taken a back seat.  I see a lot of letter writing but little
else.  However, recently, they did track down a ham in the San Antonio are
who was causing interference to a group who meet on 40 meters.  I believe a
concentrated effort to enforce the CB stuff, even for just six months, would
put a stop to a lot of the problems.

Jim
W5JO