[AMRadio] 10 meters

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Fri May 30 18:55:58 EDT 2014

The answer to Siltronix vs. Swan is very simple.

Swan made the Siltronix radios period.

They would not openly admit it, but parts could be obtained from Swan to
repair a Siltronix.

They manufactured ALL the Siltronix VFOs that readily tied to CBs and
allowed a *wide* area of frequencies.

I've purchased a few to re-purpose VFO drives for other radios.  It
would be a pain to try and use them on amateur equipment simply because
the very specific oscillators used in them.  It would be a complete rip
apart and re-engineer.  Since they have been really cheap, I just picked
up a couple to use the drive assemblies.

Another outfit that made radios for both was SBE.  They made one very
good base for CB.

Just as soon as I got my ticket, I horse traded with a CB type for a
Siltronix 1011.  I made a whole bunch of 10 meter contacts all across
the country.

Bob - N0DGN