[AMRadio] Tektronix repair

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Wed Nov 5 01:35:59 EST 2014

Hey Jim,
My experience is with a 7623 or one of the similar mainframes. Had a
problem but was a bear to get to. They didn't build those scopes for
easy take apart. Layers on top of layers of circuitry with tiny coax and
ribbon cables plugged into fragile connectors. I eventually gave up, and
scrapped it for parts. Long before, I took on a 465 that had an issue,
and found it was similarly tough to get down to the board level. I think
there were some ICs that were custom made, big things, for horizontal
deflection, etc. So when they failed, it was worthless.

Anyway, unlike the advice I saw in replies, I would not suggest trying
to repair one unless you have the original manual, plenty of time and
patience, and willing to give up when you cannot go any further.

Best of 73s
John Lyles
K5PRO
Santa Fe County, NM