[AMRadio] Small RF Amp ideas

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:40:05 EDT 2014

you don't need an IPA.  25 w. should easily drive a pair of 3-500Zs to
300-350 watts.

There must be some other reason why you do not achieve that amount of
power out.

Also, when you operate with that high carrier power you should
probably improve the cooling in the power amplifier and make sure the
plate supply transformer is rated for around 700 ma to the final or
more, CCS.

If you have not done so, look at the output of the exciter with an
oscilloscope; do the same with the power amplifier.    If they look
clean, linear with no audio flat topping or other warning signs then I
suspect there is a problem with the input and or output matching
networks on power amplifier.

73

Rob
K5UJ