[AMRadio] 40 mtr AM open

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 21:42:50 EDT 2014

I sense the "ghettos" exist because for some reason many AM ops prefer
to pile on one or two closely spaced frequencies creating big groups
and they don't seem to mind waiting 30 minutes for their turn to
transmit.  There are occasions when I'm content to sit and listen,
especially if all the signals are strong and sound good, but much more
often I prefer a smaller group of just one or two other operators on
frequency.   I've called CQ away from ghettos but get no takers, and
eventually give up and go back to the ghetto to join the big group or
call CQ and get a response right away.  I've even moved away from a
giant group, only 10 kc away and get nowhere.  AM ops would rather
pile on one frequency until there are 10 stations, and the group gets
so big it blows up with the rotation lost, then operators bail out on
it and it collapses with the frequency vacant.  Then the whole thing
starts over again with new stations piling on again.
It's kind of funny unless you are in one of these groups that's
spinning out of control.

There's a catch 22:  To get QSOs established away from the ghetto you
have to have people tuning and listening away from the ghetto but to
get them to do that they have to have people calling CQ away from the
ghetto but to get that started there has to be people tuning and
listening away from the ghetto...

73

Rob
K5UJ