[AMRadio] ART-13?

Bill Guyger via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Fri Oct 24 12:39:04 EDT 2014

I've got to say amen brother to Dave. I'm working on getting an ATC (which Collins' original version) going now and the ATC / ART-13 is the Cadillac of WW II radios. They're built like a brick outhouse and were for 1942 what Software Defined Radio is to today. The mechanical "computer" that is the auto tune device is a marvel of mechanical design and the rest of the radio matches.

Art Collins blew the competition (RCA and Sperry) out of the water when the three companies demonstrated their three radios to the Navy in 1941. The demo was supposed to be on December 8, but got put off for a month or so for some strange reason............

A British Admiral who was in attendance whipped out a blank check and told Collins to fill it out for what ever it would take to finish tooling up for production and for 3-4 years worth of delivery of the radio.

In AM it modulates 100% Positive and negative due to simultaneous Plate AND Screen modulation. It will also of course do CW and MCW but the antenna relay clacks in every time the key is pressed (full break in) but there is a mod on the internet from an Italian ham to do fully reversible mods to cut out the clanks and help with the spotting function. His English is a bit iffy but it's a hell of a lot better than my Italian.

Bill AD5OL