[AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3

Bill Guyger via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Fri Apr 3 13:05:32 EDT 2015

Say What????? CW was all they had, at least to begin with, which was why the ARRL was founded. Their spark rigs even Kw sized had a very limited range so they had to relay messages over what is today short distances (50 Miles or so). He was against bad CW. The Woufhong is named after something he swore he copied one night. I think the first QST was published in 1915 so up until tubes became available to regular people around 1920ish spark was king.
I have a copy of a 1921 RCA publication (thanks to John Dilks!) that shows hams how to implement non spark CW rigs and that new fangled phone mode using RCA tubes and parts of course. RCA was public minded enough to allow hams to use what RCA considered to be THEIR technology without a license from RCA, but everyone else had to pay the Radio Corporation as they called themselves a royalty to build and operate commercial transmitters.
Bill AD5OL