[AMRadio] AMRadio Digest, Vol 135, Issue 4


Norb Sichterman via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Fri Apr 3 14:36:20 EDT 2015


We should dump the digital stuff and rice boxes and go back to Real Ham
Radio. Many new licensees are glorified appliance operators and few know how
to  put up an antenna, install a PL-259 or even solder. The term appliance
operator  is too good to apply to some of them! They wouldn't even be
licensed if they had  to learn code. What is this hobby coming to?  Where is
the OM when we need  him?

73, 

 John,  W4AWM
Good point John. We need to get away from all those "rice boxes" and    "appliance operators" in fact we should
not let then get on the air at all! After all what did they do to earn their license? They can't even solder! I agree with you 
John only people who know how to build their station from scratch should be allowed to operate on the ham bands! If you 
can't tune up a Johnson Viking transmitter and run a regen receiver you shouldn't have a license. 
Does that sound about right John?  I have had people tell me that they wouldn't get into ham radio because of the
bad attitude many hams have toward new people. I wonder John how many young people have you invited into your shack 
to get them interested in ham radio? How many classes have you taught on the subject? How many people have you 
talked to  on two meters inviting them to your clubs meetings? 
I am beginning to think that it is you who is the problem with your "elitist" attitude. I hate to break it to you John but none of 
what you are dreaming about is going to happen.  I love AM and my equipment is almost all tube except my Icom IC-7000. 
I also use CW and my CW station consists of a DX-20, an AR-3, AM-1, and a QF-1. But if someone told me they used a 
Flex or some other SDR (software defined radio) I would still talk to them and I would enjoy it. By the way John, I have
heard people who use SDRs and some of them sound as good as a plate modulated home brew transmitter.
Norbert Sichterman
KF0XO


 


     On Friday, April 3, 2015 11:07 AM, "amradio-request at mailman.qth.net" <amradio-request at mailman.qth.net> wrote:
   

 Send AMRadio mailing list submissions to
    amradio at mailman.qth.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    amradio-request at mailman.qth.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
    amradio-owner at mailman.qth.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of AMRadio digest..."


Today's Topics:

  1. Re: The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3 (David Harmon)
  2. Re: The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3 (manualman at juno.com)
  3. Re: The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3 (manualman at juno.com)
  4. Re: The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3 (manualman at juno.com)
  5. Re: The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3 (Rob Atkinson)
  6. Re: The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3
      (Bill Guyger via AMRadio)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 21:49:59 -0500
From: "David Harmon" <k6xyz at sbcglobal.net>
To: "'AM Radio List'" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3
Message-ID: <001f01d06db8$e1655930$a4300b90$@sbcglobal.net>
Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="us-ascii"

It isn't a hobby.......it's a way of life.
I'm still angry about 'incentive licensing' or whatever they called it back
in 68'.


73

David Harmon
K6XYZ
Sperry, OK

-----Original Message-----
From: AMRadio [mailto:amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of W4AWM
via AMRadio
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:41 PM
To: k4kyv at charter.net; amradio at mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3

We should dump the digital stuff and rice boxes and go back to Real Ham
Radio. Many new licensees are glorified appliance operators and few know how
to  put up an antenna, install a PL-259 or even solder. The term appliance
operator  is too good to apply to some of them! They wouldn't even be
licensed if they had  to learn code. What is this hobby coming to?  Where is
the OM when we need  him?
 
73, 
 
 John,  W4AWM
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In a message dated 4/2/2015 10:10:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
k4kyv at charter.net writes:

Bill  Cross was Johnny Johnston's flunky during the AM power debacle.  He
tried to play "good cop / bad cop" game, even going so far as to  subscribe
to Electric Radio, but never veered very far from the official  party line
even after his boss retired and he took over the position. But  at least,
his tenure after Johnston's retirement marked the end of the  docket-a-month
era, and we haven't seen much in the way of anti-AM  proposals from the FCC
in a long time. But God only knows what we will get  as a replacement in
charge of amateur  radio rulemaking, especially  considering all  the
DIGITAL hype we are seeing these days.

Don  k4kyv

http://www.arrl.org/news/the-fcc-s-ham-guy-bill-cross-w3tn-to-retire-on-apri
l-3  



---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast  antivirus  software.
http://www.avast.com

______________________________________________________________
Our  Main Website: http://www.amfone.net AMRadio mailing list
Archives:  http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/amradio/
List Rules (must read!):  http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html List Home:
http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
Post:  AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
To unsubscribe, send an email to  amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with the
word unsubscribe in the message  body.

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support  this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
AMRadio mailing list
Archives: http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/amradio/
List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html List Home:
http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with the
word unsubscribe in the message body.

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 02:57:17 -0400
From: <manualman at juno.com>
To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3
Message-ID: <AABLT6QSDAXUKJQJ at smtpout03.vgs.untd.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

I bet that if the OM were around today, he would be embracing all the new
technologies that have entered into the amateur radio arena over the last
100 years. Time marches on; there is no future trying to live in the
past; there are only memories. Plus, digital stuff is cool and efficient;
maybe one of these days I can work the west coast on 2 meters without
having to use the moon as a reflector.

Pete, wa2cwa

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 22:41:24 -0400 W4AWM via AMRadio
<amradio at mailman.qth.net> writes:
> We should dump the digital stuff and rice boxes and go back to Real 
> Ham  
> Radio. Many new licensees are glorified appliance operators and few 
> know how 
> to  put up an antenna, install a PL-259 or even solder. The term 
> appliance 
> operator  is too good to apply to some of them! They wouldn't even 
> be licensed 
> if they had  to learn code. What is this hobby coming to?  Where is 
> the OM 
> when we need  him?
>  
> 73, 
>  
>  John,  W4AWM



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 02:47:23 -0400
From: <manualman at juno.com>
To: W4AWM at aol.com
Cc: k4kyv at charter.net, amradio at mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3
Message-ID: <AABLT6QSDAX2X6KS at smtpout04.vgs.untd.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

I'm willing to bet, if the 
On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 22:41:24 -0400 W4AWM via AMRadio
<amradio at mailman.qth.net> writes:
> We should dump the digital stuff and rice boxes and go back to Real 
> Ham  
> Radio. Many new licensees are glorified appliance operators and few 
> know how 
> to  put up an antenna, install a PL-259 or even solder. The term 
> appliance 
> operator  is too good to apply to some of them! They wouldn't even 
> be licensed 
> if they had  to learn code. What is this hobby coming to?  Where is 
> the OM 
> when we need  him?
>  
> 73, 
>  
>  John,  W4AWM
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
>  
> In a message dated 4/2/2015 10:10:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
> k4kyv at charter.net writes:
> 
> Bill  Cross was Johnny Johnston's flunky during the AM power 
> debacle.  He
> tried to play "good cop / bad cop" game, even going so far as to  
> subscribe
> to Electric Radio, but never veered very far from the official  
> party line
> even after his boss retired and he took over the position. But  at 
> least, 
> his
> tenure after Johnston's retirement marked the end of the  
> docket-a-month 
> era,
> and we haven't seen much in the way of anti-AM  proposals from the 
> FCC in a
> long time. But God only knows what we will get  as a replacement in 
> charge 
> of
> amateur  radio rulemaking, especially  considering all  the DIGITAL 
> hype we
> are seeing these days.
> 
> Don  k4kyv
> 
>
http://www.arrl.org/news/the-fcc-s-ham-guy-bill-cross-w3tn-to-retire-on-a
pri
> l-3  
> 
> 
> 
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast  antivirus  
> software.
> http://www.avast.com
> 
> ______________________________________________________________
> Our  Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AMRadio mailing list
> Archives:  http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/amradio/
> List Rules (must read!):  http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> List Home:  http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Post:  AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to  amradio-request at mailman.qth.net 
> with
> the word unsubscribe in the message  body.
> 
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support  this email list:  
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> 
> ______________________________________________________________
> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AMRadio mailing list
> Archives: http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/amradio/
> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net 
> with
> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
> 
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> 



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 03:00:10 -0400
From: <manualman at juno.com>
To: W4AWM at aol.com
Cc: k4kyv at charter.net, amradio at mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3
Message-ID: <AABLT6QX4AESW4CJ at smtpout04.vgs.untd.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Sorry about this truncated message. Typing finger hit some key and out it
went.
Pete, wa2cwa

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 02:47:23 -0400 <manualman at juno.com> writes:
> I'm willing to bet, if the 



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 06:04:07 -0500
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
To: manualman <manualman at juno.com>
Cc: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
    <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3
Message-ID:
    <CALWD7Z6ODD+iOb9He-ntjFYZDyB4+gXYzuEghdwQaZTiXNXDcg at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

The OM was against CW.  Go back and read the old screeds by him about
the "newfangled CW."

Yep, digital his its place today you bet, and that place is in its own
subbands.  No "phone/image," just analog here and digital over there.

73

Rob
K5UJ

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 1:57 AM,  <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
> I bet that if the OM were around today, he would be embracing all the new
> technologies that have entered into the amateur radio arena over the last
> 100 years. Time marches on; there is no future trying to live in the
> past; there are only memories. Plus, digital stuff is cool and efficient;
> maybe one of these days I can work the west coast on 2 meters without
> having to use the moon as a reflector.
>


------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 17:05:32 +0000 (UTC)
From: Bill Guyger via AMRadio <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>, manualman
    <manualman at juno.com>
Cc: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
    <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3
Message-ID:
    <333900995.4573801.1428080732123.JavaMail.yahoo at mail.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Say What????? CW was all they had, at least to begin with, which was why the ARRL was founded. Their spark rigs even Kw sized?had a very limited range so they had to relay messages over what is today short distances (50 Miles or so). He was against bad CW. The Woufhong is named after something he swore he copied one night. I think the first QST was published in 1915 so up until tubes became available to regular people?around 1920ish spark was king. 
I have a copy of a 1921 RCA publication (thanks to John Dilks!) that shows hams?how to implement non spark CW rigs and?that new fangled phone mode using?RCA tubes and parts?of course. RCA was public minded enough to allow hams to use?what?RCA considered to be THEIR technology without a license from RCA, but everyone else had to pay?the Radio Corporation as they called themselves a royalty to build and operate commercial transmitters.
Bill AD5OL
?      From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>
 To: manualman <manualman at juno.com> 
Cc: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service <amradio at mailman.qth.net> 
 Sent: Friday, April 3, 2015 6:04 AM
 Subject: Re: [AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3
  
The OM was against CW.? Go back and read the old screeds by him about
the "newfangled CW."

Yep, digital his its place today you bet, and that place is in its own
subbands.? No "phone/image," just analog here and digital over there.

73

Rob
K5UJ

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 1:57 AM,? <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
> I bet that if the OM were around today, he would be embracing all the new
> technologies that have entered into the amateur radio arena over the last
> 100 years. Time marches on; there is no future trying to live in the
> past; there are only memories. Plus, digital stuff is cool and efficient;
> maybe one of these days I can work the west coast on 2 meters without
> having to use the moon as a reflector.
>
______________________________________________________________
Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
AMRadio mailing list
Archives: http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/amradio/
List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
the word unsubscribe in the message body.

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html


  

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

______________________________________________________________
AMRadio mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.html
Post: mailto:AMRadio at mailman.qth.net


------------------------------

End of AMRadio Digest, Vol 135, Issue 4
***************************************


  


More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 19 Nov 2017.