[AMRadio] The FCC's "Ham Guy" to Retire on April 3

manualman at juno.com manualman at juno.com
Fri Apr 3 15:55:27 EDT 2015

Actually, under RM-11305, an amateur operator could run any mode, any
bandwidth (10 KHz, 25 KHz, 100 KHz), anywhere on an amateur radio band
depending on their license class. Talk about total anarchy on the amateur
bands. If that's not dumb, I'll rest my case.

While I will agree that the ARRL proposal, RM-11306, could have been fine
tuned more since digital and data modes were still in their infancy of
acceptance and use 10 years ago. However, there was already a perceived
problem and especially if they gained even more popularity in future
years. Well, in 10 years, the digital and data modes haven't disappeared;
they have gained more acceptance and use; and even wider varieties of
digital and data modes have appeared. Getting them out from our phone
bands and getting them into their own areas is the way to go even if the
Extras lose 50 KHz of the 80 meter phone band.

Pete, wa2cwa