[AMRadio] Our Moderator posted the band plan opportunity back inMarch

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Apr 3 16:10:33 EDT 2015

I urge all of you to familiarize yourselves with the subject and post your
thoughts on the subject at the ARRL website.

After the proposal was released, I regularly tuned the digital bands in
question and cannot see a rational reason to change the present allocations,
but that is my assessment.  The only time I witnessed interference was
during contests.

The situation for AM operators is much different.  We limit our operation to
3 frequencies on 80 meters by choice, mostly because if we attempt to
operate other places we are subject to massive interference from other
stations.  That interference is much worse than what any digital operator
must face.

I do not see the ARRL proposing any help for AM.  I do not see the ARRL
providing help in finding those who purposely interfere and help bring them
to justice, if interference happens the AM community simply must ignore the
problem.  Yet the FCC has and will pursue SSB operators who cause
interference to other SSB operators.  I am unaware of any prosecution of
digital operators for interference, maybe because of the narrow width
characteristic of the mode they do not interfere with each other as much.

But if the ARRL truly represents all amateurs maybe someone could persuade
them to help us and show the same interest as they have the digital
operators with this proposal.

Jim
W5JO