[AMRadio] Our Moderator posted the band plan opportunity back inMarch

manualman at juno.com manualman at juno.com
Fri Apr 3 17:02:02 EDT 2015

My comments start with *** below:

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 15:10:33 -0500 "Jim Wilhite" <w5jo at brightok.net>
writes:
> The situation for AM operators is much different.  We limit our
> operation to
> 3 frequencies on 80 meters by choice, mostly because if we attempt
> operate other places we are subject to massive interference from
> other
> stations.  That interference is much worse than what any digital
> operator
> must face.

***That's just not true Jim. Maybe in your area you limit yourself to
three frequencies for AM, but I don't know where in the rest of the world
they do that on 75/80 meters. There is absolutely no reason to limit
yourself to any frequency. Actually, no one owns a frequency, so it makes
no sense to even do that.  You can operate AM anywhere in the phone band
depending on you license class. Besides the typical 3870-3885 AM
hangouts, you can find AM operating down in the Extra portion,  anywhere
between 3700 and 3735, around 3838, and even up around 3960.

> I do not see the ARRL proposing any help for AM.  I do not see the
> ARRL
> providing help in finding those who purposely interfere and help
> bring them
> to justice, if interference happens the AM community simply must
> ignore the
> problem.  Yet the FCC has and will pursue SSB operators who cause
> interference to other SSB operators.  I am unaware of any
> prosecution of
> digital operators for interference, maybe because of the narrow
> width
> characteristic of the mode they do not interfere with each other as
> much.
>
> But if the ARRL truly represents all amateurs maybe someone could
> persuade
> them to help us and show the same interest as they have the digital
>
> operators with this proposal.
>
> Jim
> W5JO

*** What kind of help do you want from the ARRL relative to AM?  The ARRL
is not the frequency police. If an amateur operator has consistent
problems of deliberate interference, they should report it to the FCC.
If an AM operator just ignores the consistent interference problem and
does nothing, that's their cross to bear.

Pete, wa2cwa