[AMRadio] Our Moderator posted the band plan opportunity back inMarch

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Apr 3 17:54:26 EDT 2015

Pete, respectfully, in reference to the first paragraph, I have not heard AM
signals on any frequencies outside of 3.875 to 3.890 except rarely.  This
happens mostly because, as you state, that we limit ourselves to those
frequencies where we know our friends will be.  Sometimes I do move to other
frequencies and operate but not often.  That is no one's fault but mine;
however if you heard the mess on 3.890 this past winter you would understand
the rest of my comments.

Normally around 4:30 some AM stations in my area would start operating on
3.890 and be there continuously until near 10:30 or so.   There were a group
of hams in another part of the country that decided to move to 3.890 and
seemed to think it was their frequency.  Because they lacked respect for
those of us in 5 land they caused deliberate interference using numerous
methods.   Those methods included using SSB on frequency and using a lot of
power so that I could hear some of them over the AM operator near me plus
tone emissions.  Some of them made comments that they would run the AM crowd
off the frequency.

A number of people here can attest to the problem.

So in reference to your second paragraph, I have not heard or witnessed the
ARRL attempting to use the OO system to mitigate the problem AM operators
have by either actively engaging the offending parties nor providing
information to League HQ nor providing tapes to the enforcement bureau of
the FCC through that system.  It is my understanding they have done that in
the past and been successful when people using other modes experienced
similar problems.

Previously I have contacted an OO for this area requesting assistance in
monitoring and recording to no avail.   The ARRL  should be actively engaged
with helping members like me and others with our interference problems as
best they can when we are operating legally.  I am a member of the ARRL for
several reasons, but when it comes to assistance with an interference
problem they are not present.  That is aggravating to me and others who are
members and can be construed as uncaring.

In this case, specifically, they have returned to the same proposal hoping
to gain support for a small membership community without providing support
to our community of AM operators.  Remember I am fully aware of the support
the ARRL provides for operators but in our case I feel they are falling
down.  I hope your understand some people are very disappointed with this
stance and would welcome help in solving this and other problems.  After all
they do speak to the FCC about other matters and have been successful in
some situations like this.

Jim
W5JO