[AMRadio] Radio Operators

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 5 14:51:43 EDT 2015

Perhaps; I'm certainly open to that possibility!

There are certainly some activities I don't do, not necessarily out of a
lack of interest but rather lack of time: I'm still a working stiff and
will be at least until my kids are out of college. I love my WRL Globe
Champ 350 and my Hammarlund HQ-170, my Kenwood TS-930S and TenTec Orion
II, along with my AL-1200 and souped-up AL-80A. I enjoy RTTY and the
various digital modes from time to time but prefer mostly CW. VHF/UHF FM
is marvelous way to stay in touch with other locals, a must for local
emergency communications, a boon to the national weather service,  and
pleasant while mobile. I get paid to work with citizen science data
collection with smart phones for meteorological research (check out
http://mping.nssl.noaa.gov/ if you're interested in learning more about
that), ensemble numerical forecast models, compute-intensive
machine-learning statistical classifiers, help develop algorithms for
dual-polarization S-band weather radars, will be out on an intensive
meteorological field program this summer with some ham gear along with
the official VHF comms gear (we'll be based out of Hays, KS), own and
fly an 1946 Cessna 140 (one of the comm antennas cut for 2 m FM and a
long wire that could probably work for HF) and play classical violin
well enough to be paid for it on rare occasions.

I do try my best to avoid becoming "stuck" anywhere or in anything, but
I'm open to criticisms that I'm getting too set in my ways and need to
broaden my horizons. To that end, I suppose I do tend to favor playing
Haydn quartets more than I should and so should broaden my repertoire... :)

73,

Kim N5OP

On 4/5/2015 1:11 PM, oldradio at comcast.net wrote:
>     It sounds like some of you are describing yourselves [new farts thinking old farts] without checking your mirror first.  Better watch out, time has a way of catching up to you.
>
> 73, John, K2TQN

//