[AMRadio] "Ham Guy"

Jack JM at D8ALUS.NET
Tue Apr 7 17:48:29 EDT 2015

Oh boy, time to get out the popcorn and sit down to an interesting show!

BTW - I'm somewhere between the two posts shown below; leaning towards Don's input. Of course, I am an official certified old fart
who earned my stripes the hard way. But.... there is an SDR transceiver on the desk next to the Johnson Viking Valiant and
Hallicrafters SX-101A. Not homebrew, but definitely buzzardly!

-----Original Message-----
From: AMRadio [mailto:amradio-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Donald Chester
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 5:37 PM
To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] "Ham Guy"

> I have had people tell me that they wouldn't get into ham radio
> because of
the
> bad attitude many hams have toward new people. I wonder John how many
young > people have you invited into your shack to get them interested in ham radio? How  > m any classes have you taught on the
subject? How many
people have you
> talked to  on two meters inviting them to your clubs meetings? I am
beginning to       > think that it is you who is the problem with your
"elitist" attitude.

> Norbert Sichterman
> KF0XO

I invite guests to my shack from  time to time, but usually they have already expressed some interest in ham radio or they  wouldn't
be there.
Family members and others lacking that interest usually are bewildered by all the clutter and "junk" piled from the floor to the
ceiling, and appear so claustrophobic that they can't wait to get out of the place. Things at my shack are not exactly sparkling
clean and all nice, neat and orderly. My shack probably wouldn't make the cover photo of QST. And furthermore, there isn't a
computer screen, keyboard or mouse to be seen in my station.

As for radio classes, 2m contacts and club meetings, most kids I came in contact with back in my school-teaching days would have
found 2m CB and amateur radio clubs boring as hell, just as I always did.  My 2m rig has been gathering dust on the shelf for over
two decades, and just about every ham radio club meeting I ever attended bored me to tears with financial reports, reading minutes,
selecting officers, and endless discussion of what the club was "going to" do, but very little of what the club "was"
doing, and I never saw but a tiny few of those future projects ever get off the ground. If anything, any ham radio club or a class I
ever wasted my time attending would have made it certain that any young person I brought along would never dream of becoming a
licensed amateur.

OTOT, I couldn't count the number of times over the years I have run into people on the air and at hamfests, people I wouldn't have
known from Adam who told me that listening to me and my friends in QSO on 75m and 160m AM in past years is what first got  them
interested in amateur radio or what inspired them to try the AM mode. More than one who first ventured out with a crappy weak signal
on a plastic radio ended up bitten by the bug and now operate a "real AM" heavy metal station they put together  themselves.

Maybe, instead of boring club meetings and stuffy ham radio classes, the best way to attract the kind of newcomers  we would really
want to see enter the hobby is to  simply operate. By that I mean maintain a good attitude and operate AM regularly, with a good
quality clean signal that can be easily heard and that we could take pride in, and to make every effort to keep our conversations
interesting enough that aspiring newcomers would keep on listening, and to always be helpful, polite and treat fellow hams over  the
air the same way we would want others to treat us.

Don k4kyv

---