[AMRadio] FCC Proposes to Permit Amateur Access to 2200 and 630 Meters

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:28:43 EDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Geoff <ars.w5omr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mostly *yawn* over VLF activity, especially with a 5w IERP limit.  But
> there are those that would be interested in knowing about this.

I also have no interest in LF operating however read closely--buried
in all the type is this:

> In addition, the FCC has raised the secondary Amateur Service allocation at
> 1900 to 2000 kHz to primary, while providing for continued use by
> currently unlicensed commercial fishing vessels of radio buoys on the
> "open sea."

This is interesting in two ways:

1.  It affects 160 meters in a positive way for hams, or rather for
hams who operate from 1900 to 2000 kc (yours truly among them) and:

2.  is interesting because we'll still share the allocation with
fishing net beacons but have priority of use.

I and others filed comments on this  and we were wondering what happened.

Interest in this among hams in general and 160 meters users in
particular was disappointing, but regardless of that, the hold on the
full band in the U.S. has been strengthened and AM operators will
continue to have space available for what I consider the ultimate
night time AM ragchew band.

I hope AM operators take advantage of it this winter.

73

Rob
K5UJ