[AMRadio] HOAs fighting antenna Parity Act proposal H.R. 1301

GRANT YOUNGMAN nq5t at tx.rr.com
Thu Aug 20 13:29:10 EDT 2015

Almost 25 years ago, my wife and I moved to the Dallas area.  Every place we looked, the first thing I did was to ask to see was the covenants.  Invariably, they blocked ALL outside antennas and many banned ANY radio transmissions of any kind.  I had one realtor tell me to just put my antenna on SOMEONE ELSE’s property (directly behind the backyard fence) where they allowed that sort of "unsightly thing”.  That was SOMEONE ELSE’s property she was pushing.  Oh, that would have worked out well.   My arguments about garage door openers, phones, and other “radio transmitters” in common household use fell on very deaf ears.  The noses went up, and I was informed that a cellphone was a phone and NOT a radio … (they clearly weren’t scientists, or even educated).

I finally found a house my wife and I could both agree on in an area that had NO covenants — just zoning rules.  It let me be a ham as long as I didn’t put up anything over 30’.  I went to almost 40’ and never got bothered by any little old lady or other dimwit control freak grumbling about the color of the flower pot on my front porch.  Even the town inspector was in my yard on several occasions and never gave my antenna farm a glance.

I’m getting ready to relocate.  My lovely spouse says that it’s HER turn to pick.   I can only imagine how much worse it’s gotten in the past 25 years.  I don’t even want to think about it :(

There’s a HUGE difference between the “freedom” to do, and someone else’s “freedom” to ban “those kind of people with unsightly stuff” from their little rows of McMansion tricky tacky.   The latter has so far prevailed ..

Grant NQ5T