[AMRadio] HOAs fighting antenna Parity Act proposal H.R. 1301

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 22:43:20 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, that 700K number doesn't really reflect the number of serious
> active hams out there.   Won't waste any more time on that.

Probably a good choice, as it removes the need to clarify what your use of
the word 'most' actually means. It's a lot like say 'most' support the
ARRL. In disagreeing with the latter, I'd bet it's okay to use the 700K
figure, though. (o:

> More important, is how sad, very sad it is that folks, not hams only
> mind you, but people in general, willingly and freely sign away their
> rights, rights men fought in wars to give us, to some association
> committee, who will rule over them as to what color they can paint
> their homes, whether or not they can have a trailer in the driveway
> and any number of other closed sphincter hand wringing obsessions.
> I've even heard news stories about these HOA committees telling folks
> they can't fly the US flag out in their front yards.   That kind of
> thing is clearly and dramatically not what men signed the Declaration
> of Independence for.

Couldn't agree more, Rob. It's ironic that you mention that. I thought that
very thing today and wondered - where was all the outrage among hams as
American citizens, when veterans weren't allowed to fly a simple flag in
their yard? Why didn't the League or anyone else mount a defense or offense
then, using the same basic arguments they're using now?

But on the other hand, I suspect 'most' of the folks who join these HOAs
are happy to do so. As Lee so clearly pointed out, they offer the
lifestyle, the amenities, the comforts that many city folk and older
retirees want. They could care less about amateur radio and in fact most
think towers and a bunch of aluminum in the air is ugly.

So while your description above makes it sound more like masses of
innocent, unsuspecting people being marched off to gulags somewhere against
their will and being forced to give up their freedoms, the reality is much,
much different. That's what makes it possible for some place like the
Villages to sell 200 new homes in a month.

We just need to recognize not only the reality of it, but the hypocrisy of
this entire nonsense. Those who want to live in gated communities with
rules should be free to do so without being told they have to allow one of
the very things they moved there to escape. And the rest of us should be
able to live in the outside world without being told that we have to live
like them. Freedom of choice. What a concept.

Just remember - asking the government to step in and take away someone
else's rights on your behalf is an invitation for them to do the same to
you, at any time. But I guess it fits the selfish nature of the current
climate not to think beyond the instant gratification of getting one's way.

Fortunately it's going to be a hard sell convincing even congress that the
many should be forced to change their legally binding contracts to suit the
few who want to have their cake and eat it too - at everyone else's
expense. Television antennae were one thing; you can't deny someone basic
access to information. But making such a huge exception for a hobby
involving so few? Don't hold your breath. Or better still - pray it doesn't
happen. It won't bode well for the future. Just look at the recent
interpretation of Eminent Domain if you need proof.

~ Todd/KAQ