[AMRadio] HOAs fighting antenna Parity Act proposal H.R.

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 15:40:30 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM, GRANT YOUNGMAN <nq5t at tx.rr.com> wrote:

> Well, sure.  Except in many areas of the country now virtually ALL new
> homes are being built in these “private clubs”.

I disagree and have seen otherwise in my travels. And as mention, in what
is supposedly the fastest growing area of the country, we were able to find
a home without restrictions and land in a short period of time relatively
easily *once we accepted* that there would be trade offs. Now, if what
you're referring to are urban areas like Dallas, Houston, NYC, etc, then
sure - chances of finding something around there are probably slim. No
different than right around Raleigh/Durham/Wake Forest and so on.

But it's your choice to live there. Move to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming,
Kansas, any number of places with loads of open space, if that's truly what
you want. Otherwise, accept the trade offs for the choices you make and
live with them. I just spent a couple hours making two round trips to
dispose of yard waste because my wife doesn't like the giant scorch mark
that burning the pile leaves in the yard. Two hours out of my Saturday for
living out here is fine. I'd probably spend that in traffic down around
Raleigh on Rte 1.

> HOAs are the creation of control freaks, and in many way are the modern
> “neighborhood” equivalent of Jim Crow ...

Just the opposite. HOAs are groups of people who give up control and agree
on what they will and won't accept in their neighborhood, within the
confines of the law. Substitute 'biker gang' or 'club' for ham radio and
think how well you'd enjoy having a pack of loud bikers hanging out next
door to your $375K house. You like ham radio and outside antennas. They
like motorcycles. It's just as much Jim Crow for them. They'd have just as
much right to reasonable accommodation as you. This is how the rest of
society already is. HOAs arose to fill a need for those who were willing to
abdicate control in favor of living in an environment they prefer over the
all-inclusive everyday society. Ferguson MO comes to mind.

It's still your choice. When all else fails, choose something you can live
with. Don't choose something you don't want or like - move to a different
area if it's so bad there. I did, and as anyone who knows me will tell you
- I'm no Einstein. If I can figure it out, anyone can. Come on in, the
water's fine out here in the sticks. The malls just aren't as convenient.

~ Todd/KAQ