[AMRadio] HOA's and restrictions

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 16:11:18 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 12:46 PM, john <johnmb at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> If one wants to get on the air , a "no antenna" neighborhood is a PITA but not
> the end of the world.  It's also a voluntary choice.

It all depends on how you want to define "get on the air."

You can get on the air with a light bulb for an antenna.  In a famous
QST article, N6BT the founder of Force-12 wrote about it.

I think the title was "Everything works"  or maybe it was "Anything
works"  The message was that your enjoyment of operating is
proportional to the quality of your antenna.

And it is true if you want to be piss weak and have 2 minute QSOs you
can probably operate from a HOA controlled development.

If you want to strap and be armchair copy and enjoy radio (in the way
I think most AM ops want to enjoy it), weeeeelllll, you probably gonna
have to do more than hide away a crappy little gutter antenna.

73

Rob
K5UJ