[AMRadio] HOAs fighting antenna Parity Act proposal H.R.

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 16:12:55 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Jay Bromley <jayw5jay at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi Todd,
> I will agree with you on that basic statement that 99.99999% of the people
> out there still don't have to live in a home controlled by a HOA unless
> they
> want to.  However when one is in a family, their careers and jobs matter as
> well.  When I was single that was another matter.

Hey there Jay -

Ain't that the truth! I love being married and having a child, but I do
miss my 'whatever/where ever/when ever freedom some days. In fact, I get
email asking why I haven't been on the air lately. A little 2 yr old
princess has other plans for my time. So I've moved to other interests and
put ham radio on the back burner for now.

Because there's a lot to be said for taking care of the family and keeping
the Mrs. happy. It all falls under 'choices', just like marriage. When you
get married, you give up the freedoms of the single life for something
(hopefully) better. And I don't doubt that anyone with a loving wife and
family would choose what was best for them over a hobby. You'd be stupid
and incredibly selfish not to, and the resulting divorce might cost you all
your radio gear as well.

Life is about choices, plain and simple.Sometimes they're easy, many times
they're tough. I understand that between the media and politicians we've
been led to believe that we don't have to choose or sacrifice, just let the
government take care of you and it will all work out. They've done a good
job convincing some that they truly are 'entitled' in today's world.

The example you relate is one that I may be facing in the future. We've
been looking at a potential career move to another large, urban area. On a
recent flight I talked with a fellow who lived there. He told me to be
prepared to live an hour or more out from the city if we wanted any kind of
land, privacy, freedom from HOAs and so on. His description is very much
like you related: an apartment in the city during the week and home on the
weekends. He said this is what a lot of folks there do, it's the choice you
make when you move there if you don't want to live in a cracker box
development with postage stamp lots controlled by HOAs. We know that going
in, so there's no reason to whine about it if we decide to go there.

Another thing you mentioned in a previous post warrants further comment.
The issue of non-HOA zoning restrictions. I've spoke with several people
who came up against this. In every case they were either granted a variance
once they explained the situation or the requirements were changed. More
often than not, towns base their zoning off a neighboring community and get
*zero* input from the amateur community. Simply put, they're clueless about
it. So while it might require a little time and legwork to set things
right, it's usually not impossible. PRB-1 was written just for such cases,
not for private contracts that individuals freely agree to. Always good to
research an area before moving there and with the internet, there's no
excuse not to.

Lastly, Charlie mentioned the developer who made changes to remove or alter
restrictions while he was still building, to better accommodate. Another
worthwhile path to pursue for those who want to live in the HOA
environment. Much easier than signing and then deciding to complain and
fight later. Of course, the demand for ham-friendly communities is probably
almost non-existent, or surely some enterprising developer would've seized
on it by now.

As far as the hobby surviving, Jay, I think we have far bigger things to
worry about here than HOAs. In fact, the HOAs would be smart just to let
hams put up a wire antenna and be done with it. Our hobby isn't far behind
WWII vets when it comes to the rate of decline. Younger generations don't
even know what radio is beyond internet radio. Kinda makes you wonder how
many of these folks yelling to special exceptions have ever done anything
to invite more interest into the hobby. Like you, I've spent endless hours
trying to promote the hobby through demonstrations, displays, interviews
and so on, along with almost 25 yrs in the public service side with
different state and federal agencies. And none of that entitles me to any
special treatment over someone else. It's just what some of us chose to do.
BTW, I still have your audio mods in the table drawer next to the big
transmitter. (o:

That's for all you've done and continue to do for ham radio, Jay. Enjoy
your weekend.

~ Todd/KAQ