[AMRadio] Viking 1

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 20:51:15 EST 2015

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Larry Szendrei <ne1s at securespeed.us> wrote:

> If someone hauls their item to the scrapper because they can't get $1K (or
> whatever), they lose out, because I'm sure they could have received more
> for it than scrap value. I never claimed people are incapable of doing
> stupid things.

Precisely. And - if all else fails and such worries about ebay are keeping
you up nights - don't use ebay. Just don't go there and you won't be
tormented by all the evil, bad, scary things happening there. Seems simple
enough. (o:

Personally I've had excellent luck online including ebay over the years
both selling and buying, though selling became more and more of a hassle
with the constant changes and fees for every little thing ebay could think
of. Still, I have found and continue to find bargains there just by looking
around and never judging every xyz widget by what one abnormal auction
listing or result might show.

It's true that many people unfamiliar with an item see one listed on ebay
for a high price and assume that's what they are worth. But anyone who's
used the site any length of time for  particular interest understand
perfectly that asking is one thing, getting is another. And for every
seemingly crazy high price for a fairly common item, there are tens,
hundreds, maybe thousands of others that sell for much less. I recall a
Heathkit AT-1 unbuilt kit selling for over $4K some years back. A quick
check of average AT-1s any day of the week will show considerably less, but
someone wanted this one because it was unbuilt I guess. Good for them.
Money is like anything else - you can't take it with you.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4