[AMRadio] Antenna disconnects

Bill Guyger bguyger at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 12:21:56 EST 2015

Charlie and the group

That's something I "stress" about, and about the only thing I've come up with is the RF contractors we use at AM sites and ball gaps / arc gaps. Use the contractor to ground the line when not connected to the shack, and still provide some way for a lightning strike to arc across to ground rather than across the open contacts to the radio.

The A/C contractors or open relays you mention are too easy for high voltage to flash across.

Bill AD5OL

Sent from my iPhone