[AMRadio] Antenna disconnects

Larry Szendrei ne1s at securespeed.us
Mon Dec 21 14:03:47 EST 2015

On 12/21/15 12:08 PM, CL in NC via AMRadio wrote:
> I have used a large knife switch for years at the ladder line exit point on the house  to disconnect the line and ground it.  I am having to re route everything and now my knife switch if used, would not be easily accessible unless I leave a ladder against the house.  Anybody use the large air conditioner type contactors, or larger open frame relays for this?  Due to contact proximities, will it just flash over anyway, so forget it? My only other option is to disconnect the ladder line in the shack but that would leave the potential for flashing over inside the house.

Hi Charlie,

I use ceramic feedthru insulators with threaded brass rods for
conductors to get the open-wire line into the house. On the feedline
outside I use "battery clips" which are clipped on to the brass rods.
When thunderstorms threaten, I un-clip the feedline from the feedthrus
and let the end of the feedline lay on the ground several yards from the
house.

An added benefit is that during windstorms the clips just pop off the
feedthrus instead of breaking the feedline conductors, I use a couple of
layers of heat-shrink tubing where the open-wire line meets the battery
clip for strain relief.

This system has worked well for me for many years, with RF power levels
from QRP to the legal limit.

73,
-Larry/NE1S