[AMRadio] Extra Class isn't dumbed down? (was Viking 1)

Jim Liles hallicrafterssr2000 at k9axn.com
Mon Dec 21 22:36:07 EST 2015

Good evening,

How many of us memorize complex mathematical formulas that we have little if
any idea as to how they were derived.  Try the formula for inductive
reactance one of the simplest.  That's memorizing a tool.  Even the simplest
formulas that we hang our hats on and think we understand will drive us to
distraction when we ask ourselves how were they derived.  A newbie may ask a
question like "How does the current in an inductor lag the voltage?"  OK,
now explain it to him in words that he can assimilate, not because it's
written in some book.  Try it, write an explanation that’s simple to
understand.  A bit of tolerance and courtesy might be a better idea than
whining about how dopy others are, time to check the image in the mirror.

Things change, not necessarily for the better but there may be some good to
come of making the quizzes a bit easier.  Just maybe some fresh happy people
with dreams of building a radio station can be realized.

For those newbies that haven't got it all together maybe recommend a good
book to study instead of writing them off is a better idea.

Any new guy reading this list will never post a question knowing he will be
mocked for asking a silly question.

A Merry Christmas to all and all a good night ---- Jim