[AMRadio] Extra Class isn't dumbed down? (was Viking 1)

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 15:16:24 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com> wrote:

Current lags in an inductor because the field is induced first but the
> bulk of the current doesn't flow until the field collapses.
>
> you can't justify memorizing _everything_ because many have memorized
> math formulas.  Sorry, but that's a false analogy.  Try something
> else; good luck.

Sure you can: ELI the ICE man. I had a broadcast engineer as a mentor who
gave me that little hint for remembering the formulae involved after he
explained them to me. The test questions involved whether current led or
lagged, not why.

And memorizing answers for multiple choice ham exams was a big business for
Dick Bash and others well before the VE program came along. Code was still
mandatory then, and there were still plenty of lids on the air as well as
others with a lot to learn.

So we've covered the evils of ebay, dumbing down from VE exams,
hmmm.....what's next? How about bad-fitting dentures? Liver spots? Maybe
plug-n-play plastic radios again? I bet Santa has a bunch loaded in his
sleigh already. (o:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you also, Rob - and anyone else on
the list so-inclined as to enjoy the season.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4