[AMRadio] The old ELI and the ICE man

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Wed Dec 23 22:08:42 EST 2015

First things first:

                     MERRY CHRISTMAS

Every One!!!!

[ I am NOT politically correct! ]

Jim,

I too went through Physics classes in the early '70s in a very in-depth
Nuclear Reactor Training school.

In many instances this question of yours is really best taught and
answered in a classroom with a few circuits and at least 1 dual channel
Oscilloscope.  Even an antiquated Tek 535 of tube based circuitry.

The same is true with regard to teaching EMI and spikes in the normal
house every time one flips a power switch.

I used the same when teaching Data Communications as Adjunct Faculty for
what was then Park College on Fort Meyers, VA.

Let it suffice to say that the simple Oscilloscope Display in a very
dimmed room, made my point regarding the nature of data transmission and
the EMI that it can cause without necessary precautions and shielding.

The very first demonstration was the display while turning on the simple
light switch.

I took an alder TEK Storage Oscilloscope that I was given by MARS before
I went overseas my last O CONUS tour of duty.

It has finally passed away from over use, both by the prior Military
usage, the MARS use, and finally - mine!

I only wish I could fit another one of its class into my budget now.
That is another topic entirely, and NOT for this or any other list!

Let it be, simply age creeps up, time goes on, and eventually retirement
comes.  Life takes a different meaning for those of us whom then get
swept into the realm of Medicare and the rest that comes with all that junk!

Regards,
Bob - N0DGN
[ An Old Curmudgeon ]