[AMRadio] Heavy Metal AM Rally

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 12:30:07 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Jim Candela <jcandela at prodigy.net> wrote:

> Do we still have to consider this announcement wrapped in a Copyrighted
> blanket, and sharing it would constitute breaking the law? I wonder how
> KD0HG if he were still alive would feel about this?

I think you're waaay overthinking this, Jim. Since when would
announcing/mentioning/discussing a ham radio event be "wrapped in a
Copyrighted blanket"? That's just nuts. No doubt in my mind that Ray would
gladly welcome more discussion, more publicity, and whatever else it takes
to result in more participation.

Bill was a longtime moderator on AMfone and the Heavy Metal topic was
discussed numerous times. We discussed it privately as well. The only thing
close to any issue he may have had with it was the constant tinkering with
the rules anytime someone whined about not qualifying because they had a
Class E transmitter, a plastic Yaecomwood transceiver with a linear, or
anything else that wasn't real Heavy Metal. He thought at times people were
seeing it too much like a contest and not enough as a get together on the
air to celebrate AM and big, heavy, high powered tube transmitters of
yesteryear.

The comparison Bill used often was to think of HMR like a motorcycle show
or rally. Along with the Harleys you could find Indians, Triumphs, Nortons,
Hendersons, and any number of off-beat or unheard of participants. Along
with filling the airwaves with AM signals, the ideal was to draw
interesting folks with interesting transmitters out of the woodwork and
back onto the air. The awards were secondary, meant as much for
entertainment as anything else.

Participation was never limited to big tube rigs or meant to exclude any
type of AM signal. But for sure, the event was meant to celebrate and
highlight such transmitters. Barry and then Ray had to deal with the
crybabies who wanted rule changes constantly to make the event more of a
generic 'everybody gets a trophy' approach when it was never exclusionary
to start with, beyond the final award.

So if anything, it was the endless re-defining of 'Heavy Metal' to suit
others that annoyed Bill. And I don't believe even that was an issue for
him. He had no problems with and actually asked for/agreed to the ER
sponsorship years before his passing.

To answer Jim/W5JO - the HMR and KD0HG Memorial event are one and the same.
Ray renamed it after Bill's passing 3 yrs back. Hard to believe it's been
that long.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4