[AMRadio] Heavy Metal AM Rally

Larry Szendrei ne1s at securespeed.us
Sun Dec 27 15:43:24 EST 2015

On 12/27/15 1:17 PM, Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
> Again - just a guess on my part - I think the main reason Ray doesn't get
> more logs is due to the fact that the event has changed more into a
> contest-like event with the emphasis on 'points' and less the on-air rally
> atmosphere Bill envisioned. My experience has been that many (most?) AMers
> enjoy AM because it's more laid back ad natural, and not like a SSB
> contest. They enjoy just getting on and operating their station. The
> opportunity to work a bunch of new stations and meet new folks/hear
> different equipment is what draws them more so than any hope or promise of
> an award.

The AM QSO Party sponsored by the AWA has a similar problem - no one
sends in their logs. I attribute it to the fact that most AMers, myself
included, just want to get on the air, exercize our equipment and talk
to other like minded folk, and we loath paperwork! That said, I usually
do the drudgery of sending in a log, which is why I often "win" that
event, without any serious effort or desire to do so - it may be the
only log the event organizers received!

73,
-Larry/NE1S