[AMRadio] Heavy Metal AM Rally

Larry Szendrei ne1s at securespeed.us
Wed Dec 30 06:50:46 EST 2015

On 12/30/15 5:50 AM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> I should have also stated to be fair, that organizing an operating
> event involves some extra work and time and it seems there was a nice
> turnout, at least here in the East.  Have not heard how much activity
> there was out in the Rockies and points west.  Ray should be thanked
> for keeping the event alive and honoring Bill KD0HG.  So, thank you
> Ray.  Also, no matter when you schedule something, someone will piss
> and moan like I did.
I wholeheartedly agree.

> One thing I noticed while listening at a friend's QTH (so I _was_ able
> to participate, just not at the home QTH) was that everyone seemed to
> pile on to one 75 m. frequency, 3880.  Didn't hear a thing on 160,
> maybe due to the poor band condx, but I wish AM stations had spread
> out more on 75.  That was a big reason I didn't transmit, I didn't
> want to get in with 30 stations and wait an hour for my turn.

Yes, I noticed that too.  As I had said, I started of down on 3837
talking with Tim after the AWA net, and only 2 other stations showed up.
I then gave a listen down on 3705, which is usually active with AM
activity in the mornings here in the Northeast, but heard nothing, so I
didn't bother to re-tune the transmitter down there. I also heard all
the activity on 3880 so I joined it. A couple of local guys said they
were on 1885 for much of the evening trying to drum up activity, and no
one else showed up there.

Personally I don't mind a large round table - I mostly enjoy listening
to all the stations, and while transmitting is fun, of course, I like
the long breaks from it. But it does get unwieldy keeping track of all
the check-ins and check-outs.

73,
-Larry/NE1S