[AMRadio] Biasing a Class C modulated final

Larry Szendrei ne1s at securespeed.us
Wed Feb 18 06:53:38 EST 2015

On 2/17/15 1:56 PM, Paul Baldock wrote:
> I am building a 2x813 class C final modulated by 2x813.
>
> The typical way to bias the class C final is with a combination of
> fixed bias applied to the control grid and bias derived from the rf
> drive through a grid resistor.
>
> Rather than fixed bias applied to the grid it seems that I could
> achieve the same effect by using a pseudo zener in series with the
> cathode, similar to what is used in cathode driven linears.
>
> Any thoughts on this approach?

I see no reason why this wouldn't work, although the effective plate
voltage, which is the plate-cathode voltage, will be reduced (plate
supply voltage - cathode bias voltage). Strap each 813 filament
connection to chassis right at the tube socket with a 0.01mf disc
ceramic or better. Also, of course, the Zener needs to be able to handle
the peak current under modulation.

What's a pseudo-Zener, and why not bias the grids conventionally?

73,
-Larry/NE1S