[AMRadio] The Ultimate NonHam Ham experience

Bill Guyger via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Wed Feb 25 17:06:13 EST 2015

It's not really "anti ham", the ops just weren't at the transmitter site, they were controlling the rigs there remotely. I have seen write ups about hams who live in apartments in large cities who have the wherewithal to have a place out in the country (so to speak) where they can have large antenna arrays and control the rigs there via IP and Skype.
If I had the capability (I ain't rich, I work for radio stations) I'd kind of like to do the same. I live in a house, and at the moment all the antenna farm I have is a Gap Titan DX vertical. I also live about 3 blocks from a DART light rail line and the monster switching power supplies they use to provide high voltage DC to the trains has got to be contributing to my S7 background noise level. I'm trying to get some time with a friends cherry picker truck so I can cut down some limbs on trees in the back yard in order to string up something like an Alpha Delta multi band dipole from a tree in the front yard to a tree in the back corner of the back yard that is long enough to cover 75 and up, but until then I'm stuck with the vertical because some fool thought there needed to be power, Telco, and cable drops running through the middle of the back yard where there obviously needs to be antennas.
Bill AD5OL