[AMRadio] The Ultimate NonHam Ham experience

Bill Guyger via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Wed Feb 25 18:43:46 EST 2015

No doubt they were using some form of rig that can be directly controlled via IP. But........depending how much money you have or how resourceful you are I can see rigging say a set of Collins 75A-x and 32V-x radios or S line radios to be remotely controlled via servos or stepper motors coupled to the knobs and or switches directly or by some friction drive and getting frequency and level info by sampling the LO's and digitizing for IP transport to your location. You'd have to write  the software that allowed you to control the "rig" from afar, but it's doable.  Audio via Skype and maybe some video feedback via some form of internet camera (maybe instead of the digitized frequency and meter method) as well and you've got a BA version of an internet controlled radio.
And if a tube needs changing...some of those factory robots have multiple axis controls that resolve to thousandths of an inch so if you've got the bucks that's doable too. You could probably do that remotely too just like a surgeon in Dallas can do surgery on someone in Seattle. Just shell out the bucks
I'm with you on plowing through a bunch of menus, but is that much different than learning what all those knobs and switches on BA gear do? Heck, back in the 1920's or so the controls weren't even labeled. If you didn't know what they did, you had no business messing with them. At least guys of my age (67 - not sure if you're terribly far away) had the luxury of having radios that had actual lettering on the panels.
I'm a through BA guy and have only one new tech radio which is a Flex 1500 that I bought to be the VFO and receiver for a 813 based rig I built out of the '55 handbook. I haven't bothered doing much more than using the default settings FWIW, like I say I'm not all that much into doing that.
But, something for everybody. The fact that some hams do have radios that have manuals that make the flight manual for the space shuttle look like "Winnie The Pooh and the Blustery Day"  doesn't mean they are less ham than anyone else.
Bill AD5OL