[AMRadio] Kenwood MC-50 mike with AM gear

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 08:35:46 EST 2015

On 01/06/2015 02:17 PM, manualman at juno.com wrote:
> I had a MC-50 for many years. It came with my TS-830. The mike can be
> connected as either high or low impedance. To switch impedance, rotate
> either connector (not both) 180 degrees on the short piece of cable
> between the mike and the stand. However, the mike was designed for SSB
> use. Hooking it up to several vintage transmitters, I never found the AM
> quality to be exceptional. Actually, on several of my vintage
> transmitters, my $1.95 Lafayette lapel mike sounded better. Bottom line,
> if that's all you have, it will work.

After a fashion, I suppose...

The issue is, that the Low and High impedance choices on the MC-50 are
500 and 5000 ohms.
Typical 6AU6/12AX7 input impedance is upwards of 500,000 to 1 Meg-ohm.

Depending on how well stocked your junk box is, you may already have the
solution.

A 10:1 transformer (120/12v) can take the 5000 ohm impedance and bump it
up closer to what the older tube gear is looking for.

Gotta love Electronics... "The Exacting Science of approximation."

-73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR