[AMRadio] Using an old Collins amp for AM

WA5VGO hbrnut at suddenlink.net
Mon Jan 12 19:19:15 EST 2015

Increasing your power from 70 watts to 150 watts will make almost no noticeable difference on the receiving end. Generally a three or four fold increase is worthwhile. Anything less is pretty useless unless conditions are very marginal. If you have never used a linear amplifier for AM you might want to investigate using one. It's brutal on the amplifier and if the amplifier isn't tuned correctly it's brutal on adjacent QSO's.

73,
Darrell