[AMRadio] AMRadio Rigs and amps.

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 07:55:08 EST 2015

Wade,

The Scratchy Apache will hold 100W carrier and 400W Modulated output.
It will do it without melting anything!

Putting an amp behind it is pretty much impossible unless you go for a
pair of 4-1000s.

Then you'll be way over legal limits.

I don't run BIG IRON AM any longer.  This 64 year old body can't move a
BC-610 around any longer.  Although it did 400W carrier, and I won't go
into what the modulated output was.

A few hundred watts output will get you heard.  Those that claim they
can't hear you simply have the RF Gain dialed such that it takes a KW+
to be heard.

Don't pay them any mind!

I use a 25W signal into a pair of 3-500Zs.  I talk to plenty of folks.

I sit here in VA, and talk to Illinois, West Virginia, PA, and down into
South Carolina.

Those that really want a QSO will get in and talk to anyone they can hear.

That's all one needs!  It *is* about communicating, not splattering!

Regards, Bob - N0DGN

--
Bob - N0DGN