[AMRadio] AM

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 12:27:23 EST 2015

On 1/16/2015 3:11 AM, Donald Chester wrote:
> Wattmeter is "the standard".
>
> Regards, Bob - N0DGN >>>>>
>
> Just as the AM community has been brainwashed into the p.e.p. nonsense. Case
> in  point:  " The Scratchy Apache will hold 100W carrier and 400W Modulated
> output."
>
> "Modulated output" my arse. The Apache is a 100-watt transmitter.
>

> And I might add, I wouldn't have any use for a Bird Wattmeter even if
> someone gave me one. There isn't a sprig of coax anywhere in my entire
> transmitting antenna  system, from the plates of the final to the radiating
> element of the antenna. Everything is tied together with link coupling and
> balanced open wire line  - the real stuff, #8 and #10 copperweld spaced 2
> 1/2 and 2 inches apart respectively. None of that oversize TV ribbon with
> the square holes punched in the insulation every few inches.
>

> Don k4kyv
I never posted with the intent of "starting" any form of a back and forth.

However, I would be surprised if the majority of AM Operators use
balanced open wire feeds.

I can only speak for myself, yet I can say that I have never had the
pleasure or displeasure of assembling such.

I am one that has had to move on a fairly constant basis, and have not
been afforded the ability to use such a network of feeders.

I have been "stuck" with coaxial feed lines.

That is where my comments were directed.

End of my commentary.

Regards, Bob - N0DGN