Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Fri Jan 16 19:55:31 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----

>The ARRL had nothing to do with either one of these rules. The ARRL even
fought against the removal of the code requirement.

>Pete, wa2cwa

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 06:35:51 -0800 CL in NC via AMRadio
<amradio at mailman.qth.net> writes:
>>Yes, the ARRL through the FCC  screwed us with the 1500 watt PEP rule that
translates to approx. 375 watts carrier out,  just like they did by forcing
the FCC's hand on the code requirement where the FCC got fed up and removed
it all.  > Charlie, W4MEC in NC

And to be fair, the ARRL actively supported the AM community during the
power debacle. They submitted comments on our behalf, and then submitted a
petition for reconsideration asking to grandfather the existing power
standard for AM. But once the FCC announced their final ruling, they showed
no further interest in the cause, and further correspondence to headquarters
on the subject went unanswered.

One person  to whom we probably can direct some of the blame is K1MAN,
although by that time Johnston and his henchmen at the FCC's Private Radio
Bureau undoubtedly had already made up their minds, so that any
"proceedings" on the issue were a mere formality. Baxter had filed a lawsuit
against the FCC in federal court before the final administrative proceedings
had were terminated.  I remember Dave Sumner saying that Baxter's
ill-conceived and ill-timed legal action had the effect of hardening the
FCC's position and that  henceforth it would be much more difficult to get
them to  budge on the issue. At the FCC Forum at Dayton the following
spring, during the Q-A session that followed, Johnny Johnston who MC'ed the
forum, was asked if the FCC was going to follow through on their stated
commitment as written in the original NPRM to "revisit" the power issue in
1990 "if there was any justification to  do so". Johnston  replied with a
sneer, "you took us to court, remember". The questioner then retorted that
it was K1MAN who brought the court case, not "us". Johnston responded, "As
far as I am concerned it was the amateur radio community. That's an issue
that got caught up in circumstances". Then without pausing for a breath he
continued with some unrelated drivel without giving anyone else any chance
to respond.

For the court proceedings, Baxter had typed up a well-researched paper
brief, but according to a group of AMers who had made the trek to D.C. and
attended in person, acting as his own lawyer in court, he completely blew
his  case before the judge by getting off track into a diatribe about the
Mexican earthquake and how his  self-proclaimed "American Amateur Radio
Network" had helped save the day, and that a power cut would have severely
hampered their efforts. Thing was, his group's "efforts" were carried out
entirely on 20m slopbucket, not AM.  What  did  that  have to do with the
case?

After the judge ruled against his petition, saying that the court was
"deferring to the expertise" of the FCC, Baxter then filed an appeal to the
US Supreme Court, but as expected, they wouldn't hear the case.

Don k4kyv

---