[AMRadio] [BC] AM Transmitters Free If You Haul Them Away

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:23:29 EDT 2015

This kind of thing happens.  I'd say he was lucky to get the 1 KW rig
for free.  What has changed is that AM broadcast stations are under
increasingly dire financial stress as revenue dries up so owners are
trying to get cash any way they can.  Back 20 years ago many let tube
rigs go for free just to get rid of them but now they see money
anywhere they look.  That isn't always the case but it is becoming
more frequent.  Something similar is happening on eBay with EFJ gear
like Navigators going for $700 (a Ranger minus the audio) and a beat
up Viking 500 for $1600.  Heck there's a cheap looking plastic Sony
shortwave receiver on there now for over $1000! (item 131542646984)
And R390As are going for insane money.

Wanting money for an AM broadcast rig now may be partly due to the
resurgent interest in ham AM.  There's an upside and downside to
everything in life.

73

Rob
K5UJ