[AMRadio] I get the last laugh after all. (So do a few others!)

Donald Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Jul 20 21:10:06 EDT 2015

> Please note that indeed I am one of the 43 Amateurs that took the effort
to submit comment.

> While it really wasn't brought up on "popular" discussion boards to any
degree, there were those
> of us that indeed submitted comment and made our voices heard clearly
through the written word.

> I can't say that I will have equipment to operate there.

> Bob - N0DGN

Just to clarify, the new MF and LF segments proposal was included in the
same rulemaking proceeding as the 160M proposal.  These were only a small
part of an omnibus FCC proposal that included a long list of items, most of
which were unrelated to amateur radio.

The 160m decision doesn't affect our current use of the band in any way.  We
already had access to the full 1800-2000 segment and all the known
radiolocation beacons went silent years ago. Primary status across the
entire band merely reduces the likelihood that some future radiolocation
service might be assigned to frequencies in the band. With the added
security that our frequency assignment on 160m will remain intact, more hams
might consider putting up antennas and setting up stations to operate in the
band.

One unfortunate change the FCC included was to  make the renegade fishnet
beacons operating in international waters inside the 160m band totally
legal. For the most part, their interference to 160m amateur operation has
been minimal, but I have heard complaints that they indeed do sometimes
cause harmful interference to hams in coastal areas.  There is no reason why
they couldn't simply be moved to the remaining radiolocation segment 1710 -
1800 kHz, between the expanded AM broadcast band and the ham band, since the
beacons that once packed that segment have likewise all gone dark, and now
no beacon signals, or signals of any kind for that matter, are normally
heard anywhere in that segment of  frequencies.  The fishnet beacon
transmitters are controlled by frequency synthesis, so their operating
frequencies could easily be re-set and output tuning slightly tweaked,
probably in just a few minutes.

Don k4kyv

---