[AMRadio] A proposal to help curtail pirate radio broadcasters could affect hams

Bill Guyger via AMRadio amradio at mailman.qth.net
Thu Jul 30 11:21:42 EDT 2015

Just looking at the wording of the FCC Chairman and the guy is a politician / lawyer so all bets are +/- 3dB....I'm wondering if he's referring to banning manufacturing of equipment like the Ramsey FM transmitters that off the shelf do up to 50 watts or so in the FM band. Googling FM radio transmitter, there are all sort of devices on the market that are sold to transmit in the FM band.
That 50 watts is plenty to cover a large area if you have a high gain or physically high enough antenna. When a Navy Reserve jet hit the old Channel 4,5, and 8 candelabra antenna here in Dallas back in '87 it took one of the local FM's off the air too. We let them bring their 50 watt exciter over to our building and plumb it into our aux. antenna which is side mounted at 800' on our tower. They were full quieting stereo over most of the DFW metroplex!
Bill AD5OL