[AMRadio] Pirate Paranoia

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 20:55:58 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 6:52 PM, john <johnmb at nc.rr.com> wrote:

 and some clowns in the
> FCC consider pirate radio something to fight over.
>
> Typical government "make a big show like we're doing something" reaction.

It is an issue not because the FCC spontaneously wanted something to do;

It is an issue because professional commercial broadcasters in
metropolitan areas have been pleading with the FCC to act for some
time.

If you follow the industry via trade rags and on-line forums etc. you
are aware of this but in the ham radio world not much as been said
because it isn't a relevant issue here.  But firstly, FCC is
_responding_ to multiple requests for action--in NYC there are dozens
of pirates operating according to reports I have seen.

Secondly, what is relevant to us isn't the pirate activity, it is how
the legislative process plays out to deal with it, possibly resulting
in a broadly worded rule that for example, prohibits the sale of any
broadcast gear, any at all, to anyone who does not have a license to
broadcast.  That would shut down average hams getting any goodies and
even make the sale of a peak limiter illegal at a hamfest.  I am not
saying this will happen; I am just giving an example of the kind of
fallout that can result when non-technical lawyers throw some stuff
together and it gets rubber stamped into law and we are blindsided.

The original message was to merely keep an eye on this as it develops.
Not a bad idea.

73

Rob
K5UJ