[AMRadio] KOMA radio

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Thu Mar 26 21:41:04 EDT 2015

Last evening a F1 or so tornado took down the three tower array of KOMA radio in Oklahoma City.  The station is now KOKC and broadcasts talk.  I worked at KOMA from early 1967 till late 1968 and am very sad to see this destruction.  KOMA was on 1520 and shared the frequency with WKBW in Buffalo, NY.  KOMA served the Western US and WKBW served the Eastern part of the country.  Many people remember this station from the mid-fifties until it changed to country much later.

This is a video story of the towers with some history and pictures of the destruction.  Until last night we had not had a reported tornado in Oklahoma, a very rare occurrence.   Then to have a minor one do this is amazing to me.

http://www.themooredaily.com/news/the-story-behind-moores-destroyed-radio-towers

Click on the picture for the video.

Jim
W5JO