[AMRadio] KOMA radio

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Fri Mar 27 00:32:55 EDT 2015

Former KOMA program director Deane Johnson has shared some great pics of
the studio and transmitter equipment here:

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/koma_oklahoma_city

KOMA had the biggest coverage area of all the Storz stations but
listners wouldn't have guessed that the newest music on the planet came
from a transmitter made in the 30s.     We kept also kept pushbuttons
set for The Big 89 and KAAY in Little Rock, but when you'd pull up to a
stop light on a summer's night, it would be the KOMA Good Guys you'd
hear coming from the other car radios.    I wouldn't trade those
memories for a stack of MP3 players, selective fading and all!

A great history of the Todd Storz, the father of Top 40 radio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0HlmPDXcmE

73, Bob W9RAN